FORTHCOMING COURSE DATES:
6-9 June - Full
The CompEx Ex14 Responsible Persons qualification has been developed in consultation with industry to ensure the core competence of the responsible person. This refers to those in senior supervisory roles, i.e. persons directly responsible for the management of staff, processes and procedures relating to potentially explosive atmospheres, electrical and non-electrical (mechanical) equipment, protective systems and installations.
The course aims to ensure that ‘Responsible Persons’ as defined in IEC60079-14 and/or IEC60079-17 have the knowledge, skills and competencies to enable them to meet the requirements of these IEC standards, relevant directives and national laws.
The qualification will assess the level of competency of the individual with regards to these standards to enable them to manage operatives who are involved in selection, erection, inspection and maintenance duties of equipment remains in explosive atmospheres. The content includes theoretical application for the various aspects of the role. Experience and feedback received has shown that candidates gain a great deal from the guided discussions, so participation is actively encouraged.
Candidates who are successful in the assessments will receive a CompEx Certificate in Core Competence.
- Appropriate Legal Requirements
- Application of relevant standards
- Requirements of 60079-14 - Annex A "Knowledge, skills and competencies"
- Requirements of 60079-17 - Annex B "Knowledge, skills and competencies"
- Ignition sources
- Practical understanding of explosion protection principles and techniques
- Working knowledge and understanding of relevant standards in explosion protection such as IEC 60079 Parts 10-1; 10-2; 14, 17
- Safe working procedures for explosive atmospheres
- Inspection and Remedial Action Strategy
- Qualitative Analysis for periodic inspections as detailed in Annex A of 60079-17
- Simple quantitative methodology for the prioritisation of remedial actions
- Competency criteria and assessment for persons undertaking installation, maintenance and inspection activities.
- Overview of IEC 60079-19 - repair
Assessment is undertaken using a multiple-choice and an applied knowledge exam that covers the full Ex14 unit. For part of the assessment, candidates are expected to demonstrate their understanding by using documentation and information available to determine the correct answer.
Exam - The exam is split into two sections with a short break in-between:
Section 1 – Theory based exam (41 questions, 1.5 hours)
Section 2 – Applied knowledge exam (19 questions, 1 hour)
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This qualification is suitable for persons in managerial or supervisory roles who are directly responsible for the management of staff (including sub-contractors), processes and procedures relating to explosive atmospheres, such as, equipment, protective systems and installations.
SETA, First Avenue, Millbrook, Southampton, SO15 0LJ
Due to the nature of CompEx courses you will need to contact our Commercial Admin Team to check availability and to make a booking. Each of the CompEx courses has quite specific information required by JT Ltd (The Awarding Body) which differs by course. So to avoid confusion and to ease the booking process our Commercial Admin Team will be happy to help guide you through the necessary requirements.
"Jon was extremely knowledgeable and delivered the course to a high standard"
"Course similar to foundation. Good examples of inspection equipment. Heavy going, but good course. Good presentation of a difficult and broad subject"
"Jon was a very knowledgeable tutor"